On Wednesday morning November 9, 2016, the American Civil Liberties (ACLU) published a personal message to president-elect on their website. It urges him “reconsider and change course” on certain campaign promises, going on to list some of the most troubling promises Trump has made:
- Promising to force 11 million undocumented immigrants from the country.
- Promising to ban Muslims from entering the country and heavily surveilling the ones who reside here.
- Promising to punish women who have abortions.
- Promising to reauthorize waterboarding and other forms of torture.
- Promising to revise the nation’s libel laws, restricting freedom of expression.
It goes on to warn Trump he will have to face the ACLU if he presses forward and tries to make good on promises they view as unconstitutional:
If you do not reverse course and instead endeavor to make these campaign promises a reality, you will have to contend with the full firepower of the ACLU at every step. Our staff of litigators and activists in every state, thousands of volunteers and millions of card-carrying members and supporters are ready to fight against any encroachment on our cherished freedoms and rights.
Read more: ACLU Announces Massive Legal Action Against Donald Trump
photo credit: AndrewDallos Donald Trump arriving at NBC tonight for Jimmy Fallon via photopin (license)