Dr Eddy Betterman
Over two hundred doctors and scientists have come together in support of worldwide distribution of vitamin D to help treat covid infections and reduce hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths. The doctors are calling on all governments and healthcare systems around the world to immediately recommend and distribute vitamin D to adult populations.
Long before covid-19, most of the world’s population was physically primed to suffer from infections. This is because 70 percent of the world’s population is deficient in vitamin D and have subpar immune function. All current medical research shows that vitamin D deficiency is the common denominator behind covid hospitalization, ICU admission, severe illness and death.
Vitamin D is both inexpensive and nontoxic. It could have already been delivered worldwide to people throughout the pandemic, but public health authorities from the NIH to the CDC shamefully took the opposite approach, leading to needless suffering and death.
Addressing vitamin D deficiency should be top priority for governments around the world
Vitamin D deficiency is medically defined as less than 20ng/ml (50nmol/L) and affects over 33 percent of the population. Vitamin D insufficiency is defined as less than 30ng/ml (75nmol/L) and affects over 50 percent of the population. In order to get circulating vitamin D to a minimally sufficient level (30ng/ml), most people are recommended to consume 6,200 international units (IU) of vitamin D each day.
Vitamin D deficiency is more common in people with dark skin, due to their high melanin content, which blocks sunlight absorption. Deficiency is also common for people who are overweight or obese. Vitamin D is fat soluble; therefore, circulating vitamin D levels are higher in people who have a healthy weight. People who live in the Northern Hemisphere are commonly deficient, especially in the winter, when they are indoors and away from the sunlight. The elderly population is also deficient, especially if they are stuck in nursing homes that cordon them off from sunlight.
The doctors .have analyzed over 188 scientific papers on vitamin D and concur:
• Higher vitamin D blood levels are associated with lower rates of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
• Many papers indicate that vitamin D affects COVID-19 more strongly than most other health conditions, with increased risk at levels less than 30ng/ml (75nmol/L) and severely greater risk at levels less than 20ng/ml (50nmol/L).
• Higher D levels are associated with lower risk of a severe case (hospitalization, ICU or death).
• Intervention studies and randomized controlled trials indicate that vitamin D can be a very effective treatment.
• Many papers reveal several biological mechanisms by which vitamin D influences COVID-19.
• Causal inference modelling, Hill’s criteria, the intervention studies & the biological mechanisms indicate that vitamin D’s influence on COVID-19 is very likely causal, not just correlation.
• COVID-19 pandemic sustains itself in large part through infection of those with low vitamin D, and that deaths are concentrated largely in those with deficiency.